The average Dane
The average Dane has the surname Nielsen and is 42.2 years old. He or she sees a doctor or a dentist about eleven times a year. He or she drives a Volkswagen and usually spends his or her holidays in Spain.
Him and her
- Anne and Peter are the most common first names, while Nielsen is the most common last name. The most common full names are Henrik Nielsen and Kirsten Jensen.
- The average age is 42.2 years - women are 43.1 years, and men are 41.4 years.
- 50.3 per cent of the population are women.
- On average, men live 79.4 years, while women live 83.1 years.
Earnings and wealth
- The average employee in Denmark earns DKK 45,481 per month before taxes. The amount includes pension and is calculated by the so-called standardised hourly earnings translated to a full-time monthly salary.
- In 2021, Danes had a median net worth of DKK 749,519 after subtracting liabilities from assets.
- 44.8 per cent of Danes above the age of 18 are either married or separated.
- 39.8 per cent of all marriages are dissolved by divorce.
- Marriages dissolved by divorce last for an average of 12.5 years.
- The average age of women who get married for the first time is 33.4 years, while that of men is 35.6 years.
- On average, brides age is 37.0 years, while grooms are 39.4 years.
- Most divorces happen when people are 40 to 49 years old.
- Women give birth to their first child at the average age of 29.9 years.
- The average age of all women giving birth is 31.4 years.
- The average age of first-time fathers is 31.5 years, and the average age of all fathers at the birth of their children is 33.5 years.
- These days, new babies are most frequently named Ella or William.
- We have an average of 1.6 children.
- "Top Gun: Maverick" was the best-selling film in 2022 with 769,000 sold cinema tickets.
- In 2022, cinema ticket sales reached 9.9m, which was 3.3m more tickets than in 2021. The steep rise can be explained by the fact that 2021 was characterised by an extensive shutdown of cinemas due to COVID-19 restrictions.
- When Danes go on holidays of at least four nights, they most often go to Spain. In 2022, Danes spent 19 per cent of their long holidays in Spain.
- The majority of adults use social media. 91 per cent of Danes between the age of 16 and 74 have a profile on social media.
- The majority of both women and men listen to (stream) music via the internet. This goes for pretty much all 16-39-year-old Danes and slightly more men than women, and for 70 per cent of the population as a whole.
- 64 per cent of Danish internet users between 16 and 89 years stream television or films.
- Crime novels are the most popular literary genre. One in three adults prefer to read crime stories.
- The majority of online shoppers ordered clothes, sports goods, tickets for events and fastfood.
92 per cent of families have at least one smartphone.
- One in seven persons moved in the course of 2022 – altogether, 895,008 changes of address were registered during the year.
- 56 per cent of all dwellings are occupied by the owner.
- An average of 2.1 persons live in each household.
- A total of 96 per cent of Danish families have internet access at home.
- 11 per cent of the Danes were admitted to a hospital in 2018.
- On average, each Dane is in contact with doctors, dentists and medical specialists etc. and medical specialists etc. 11 times per year.
- Danes above the age of 18 purchase beer, wine and spirits corresponding to 9.7 litres of pure alcohol per year. This corresponds to 12.4 units per week.
- The annual sales of cigarettes etc. is 854 – or close to 43 packets – per capita above the age of 18.
33 per cent of Danes between the age of 16 and 74 have purchased medicine via the internet within a year.